/* Islam Learnings: Keep Devils Away With Aayat Al-Kursi */ Keep Devils Away With Aayat Al-Kursi | Islam Learnings

Pages


Sunday, March 4, 2012

Keep Devils Away With Aayat Al-Kursi

Abu Hurayrah (radi Allahu anhu) said: “Allah's Messenger assigned me to keep watch over the Zakah of Ramadaan. A person snuck in and started taking handfuls of foodstuff. I caught him and said, ‘By Allah, I will take you to the Messenger of Allah.’ He said, ‘Release me, for I am meek and have many dependents and am in great need.’ So I let him go. In the morning the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) asked me, ‘What did your prisoner do last night, O Abu Hurayrah!’ I said, ‘O Allah's Messenger! He complained of being needy and of having many dependents, so I pitied him and let him go.’ Allah's Messenger said, ‘Indeed, he told you a lie and will be coming again.’


“I believed that he would show up again, for Allah's Messenger had told me that he would return. So, I watched for him. When he (showed up and) started stealing handfuls of foodstuff, I caught hold of him again and said, ‘I will definitely take you to Allah's Messenger.’ He said, ‘Leave me, for I am very needy and have many dependents. I promise I will not come back again.’ I pitied him and let him go. In the morning Allah's Messenger asked me, ‘What did your prisoner do last night, O Abu Hurayrah!’ I replied, ‘O Allah's Messenger! He complained of his great need and of too many dependents, so I took pity on him and set him free.’ Allah's Messenger said, ‘Verily, he told you a lie; he will return.’

“I waited for him attentively for the third time, and when he (came and) started stealing handfuls of the foodstuff, I caught hold of him and said, ‘I will surely take you to Allah's Messenger as it is the third time you promised not to return, yet you returned.’ He said, ‘Let me teach you some words which Allah will give you benefit from.’ I asked, ‘What are they?’ He replied, ‘Whenever you go to bed, recite Aayat Al-Kursi, Allahu la ilaha illa Huwal-Hayyul-Qayyum, until you reach the end of the Aayah. (If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you, and no Shaytaan will come near you until morning.’ So, I released him.

“In the morning, Allah's Messenger asked, ‘What did your prisoner do last night?’ I replied, ‘O Allah's Messenger! He claimed that he would teach me some words by which Allah would grant me some benefit, so I let him go.’ Allah's Messenger asked, ‘What are they?’ I replied, ‘He said to me: Whenever you go to bed, recite Aayat Al-Kursi, Allahu la ilaha illa Huwal-Hayyul-Qayyum, from the beginning to the end. He further said to me: (If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you, and no Shaytaan will come near you until morning.’ The Prophet said, ‘He spoke the truth, although he is a liar. Do you know whom you were talking to these three nights, O Abu Hurayrah!’ Abu Hurayrah said, ‘No.’ He said, ‘That was a devil (Shaytaan).’” [Bukhari]

This hadith teaches us the value of reciting Aayat Al-Kursi at night before going to bed. After all, who would not want to be protected from devils during the night while they are asleep!

Aayat Al-Kursi is the 255th Aayat of Surah Baqarah. It lists some of Allah’s attributes. While we recite Aayat Al-Kursi our belief in Allah (subhana wa ta’ala), as He described Himself, is refreshed. This understanding is the fountain from which will spring forth good deeds.

We learn from this hadith that the Sahabah were keen to learn beneficial knowledge and do good deeds.

We also learn from this hadith that the devil may appear in the form of a man. The Shayateen may also appear in the form of animals: camels, donkeys, cows, dogs, cats or snakes. The form most frequently taken is that of a black dog or cat.

Ibn Taymiyah said: “The black dog is the devil of dogs, and the jinn often appear in this form, or in the form of a black cat, because black concentrates more devilish strength in it than other (colours), and it holds the power of heat.” [Islamic Creed Series: The World of the Jinn and Devils In the Light of the Quran and Sunnah by Dr. Umar S. al-Ashqar]

Source: dailyhadith.adaptivesolutionsinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment